2 Answers

askguru expert
Replied Jan 13, 2021
Hello there,

It's great that you are giving your child a good start. Do note that the minimum age of a property buyer is 18 years old in Malaysia.

Depending on whether the SPA has both names or whether it is a joint-loan, there could be cost involved in the transfer of ownership.

This is on love transfer, if you choose to purchase under your name, and then transfer to your child later on (50% stamp duty exemption): https://www.propertyguru.com.my/property-guides/can-you-gift-someone-property-just-because-you-love-them-24155

You may sell / transfer your share for the property to your child down the road (assuming both names are on the SPA & loan). As for the transfer of housing loan, it is possible via refinancing to cover the current outstanding loan balance. More about refinancing here: https://www.propertyguru.com.my/property-guides/the-ultimate-guide-to-refinancing-9507

It is advisable to appoint a lawyer to complete the property transfer and refinancing loan. Transfers must be for a form of consideration such as monetary value or love and affection, which would be spelt out in the MOT. For an MOT to be legally effective, the document must be stamped and adjudicated at the Inland Revenue Board and the stamp duty paid.

Here's a guide about MOT: https://www.propertyguru.com.my/property-guides/guide-legal-documents-memorandum-of-transfer-mot-15910

All the best in your property purchase.
Abu Bakar Yahya
Abu Bakar Yahya
Replied Jan 12, 2021
Hi Sir. I'm Abu from IW Properties. Yes Sir, you can put your son name solely on the property title. However, there are few things that you need to be consider: - how old is your child? - you will buy the property by cash or loan? Feel free to call me at 0136925924 for further discussion. Thank you.