The Finance Ministry revealed that the relocation of the Sungai Besi Air Force Base will start in December 2017 to pave the way for the construction of the Bandar Malaysia project.
In a parliamentary response on Wednesday (29 November), the ministry stated that the buildings at the new base are nearly complete, with remaining unfinished works at four percent to 15 percent.
“Some facilities have been completed and were handed over in June 2015. Three other facilities have been completed and are in the process of handover,” it said without providing details about these facilities.
Notably, the air force is transferring in stages to a 750-acre site in Sendayan, Negeri Sembilan.
Out of the RM2.7 billion total expense for the relocation, the Federal Government is shouldering RM1.1 billion, while the remainder will be borne by 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB).
“The government has fully paid up… There is no pending payment between 1MDB and the government,” noted the Finance Ministry.
It stated this in response to Bukit Bintang MP Fong Kui Lun’s request for an update on the Bandar Malaysia project as well as a query on its funding.
Previously, Finance Ministry Secretary-General and Bandar Malaysia Chairman Tan Sri Irwan Serigar Abdullah revealed last August that six to eight firms are keen to take part in the mega development worth billions of ringgit.
A few days ago, he was sked about the latest news on the tender for Bandar Malaysia’s new master developer. While Irwan didn’t provide any new information, he said an announcement regarding the matter will be made.
Image sourced from Skyscraper
This article was edited by the editorial team of PropertyGuru. To contact them about this or other stories email email@example.com
For the latest property news, trends, resources and expert opinions, visit our Property News section. Home buyers, sellers or property renters looking for Malaysian Properties, may like to visit the New Launches or Project Reviews page.