Someone stole the US$3bil meant for TRX infra

Pavither May 22, 2018

 
1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) had issued US$3 billion worth of notes in April 2015 with a coupon of 4.4 percent per annum until its 2023 maturity. Part of the proceeds from the issuance should have been spent on building the infrastructure in the 70-acre Tun Razak Exchange (TRX), but this never happened.

“TRX did not see a single cent of it,” an unnamed source told The Star.

As such, 1MDB’s real estate arm TRX City Sdn Bhd had to dispose five plots there for a total of RM1.358 billion to fund the infrastructure. Of this amount, RM1.095 billion was “advanced” to the scandal-tainted sovereign wealth fund.

A report released by the National Audit Department earlier last week revealed that the 70-acre site for TRX was originally acquired for RM302.38 million in 2010, or approximately RM100 psf.

The source said TRX City Sdn Bhd had to do a lot of things to solve its problems, like gathering money to construct roads and tunnel systems in the upcoming financial district to entice local and overseas investors.

Then in 2014, Australia-based developer Lendlease agreed to acquire a 60 percent stake in TRX’s Lifestyle Quarter, while TRX City Sdn Bhd holds the remaining 40 percent.

This “boosted confidence” and gave the development “a lot of credibility”, noted the source.

But given the new government’s promise to review major project, Lendlease wants to talk with the new administration at “the earliest opportunity” over the fate of TRX, given that the prior administration had promised to relocate government-linked companies (GLCs) there to boost the project’s appeal and increase it viability.

Furthermore, the re-opening of the investigation into the multibillion 1MDB scandal had raised fears among the companies taking in part in TRX.

“Will TRX, as an international financial centre, be aborted? Will stakeholders be asked to go slow?” asked one of those firms.

 
Image sourced from The Star Online

 
This article was edited by the editorial team of PropertyGuru. To contact them about this or other stories email editorialteam@propertyguru.com.my
 

For the latest property news, trends, resources and expert opinions, visit our Property News section. Home buyers, sellers or property renters looking for Malaysian Properties, may like to visit the New Launches or Project Reviews page.

POST COMMENT

You may also like these articles

Tabung Haji: TRX Project to Feature the Next Iconic Design

  TH Properties Sdn Bhd (THP), a fully-owned subsidiary of the Pilgrims Fund Board or Lembaga Tabung Haji, revealed that its property development project in the Tun Razak Exchange (TRX) will f

Continue ReadingMay 29, 2017

KWAP to Invest in TRX Only Through Viable Partnership

  Lacking the capacity to develop the two projects on its own, Retirement Fund Inc (KWAP) said it will only invest in Bandar Malaysia and the Tun Razak Exchange (TRX) if there is a viable part

Continue ReadingJune 6, 2017

HSBC Malaysia to Build HQ in TRX

  In view of its commitment to develop Malaysia into a financial hub within the Asean region, HSBC Malaysia invested US$250 million for its future headquarters in the Tun Razak Exchange (TRX)

Continue ReadingJune 16, 2017

TRX Attracting Global Firms Despite 1MDB Scandal

 More multinational firms are investing in Kuala Lumpur’s 70-acre Tun Razak Exchange (TRX) despite the scandal surrounding 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB), reported Bloomberg.For instance,

Continue ReadingJune 21, 2017

Najib Insists on Hiding Cost of TRX- Apparently Due to Confidentiality Clause

  The Ministry of Finance (MoF) refuses to divulge the exact size and selling price of the land in Tun Razak Exchange (TRX) it bought from 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) in 2015 because it doe

Continue ReadingNovember 14, 2017

Finance Ministry Tight-Lipped and Brushes off Questions on Alleged Acquisition of 51% Stake in TRX Developer

  Finance Ministry is tight-lipped on the acquisition of 51% stake in developer building Malaysia’s tallest tower. The Finance Ministry has reportedly acquired a 51 percent stake in the com

Continue ReadingJanuary 16, 2018

Feedback