Klik sini untuk versi BM.
Malaysia’s government is on a mission to deliver more affordable homes! Leading that charge is the flagship 1Malaysia Housing Programme – PR1MA, also known as PRIMA.
What does that mean for you? Here’s our handy guide on just what PRIMA is, and how you can apply for it.
1) What Is PRIMA?
PRIMA is an affordable housing project established under the PR1MA Act 2012. Here are some of the currently available listings for sale!
It aims to plan, develop, construct, and maintain high-quality housing for middle-income households in key urban areas.
2) What Are PRIMA Homes?
A PRIMA house is designed to be part of an integrated community, offering a variety of unit types and sizes to meet the needs of citizens in Malaysia’s rapid-growth urban centres.
Most of this scheme's projects are located in locations that are conducive and attractive, mostly in major cities across Malaysia.
Therefore, there are many amenities close to PR1MA housing including schools, grocery stores, access to public transport, and more.
3) How Much Does A PRIMA House Cost?
PRIMA Malaysia homes are priced between RM100,000 and RM400,000, aiming to provide an affordable price point that fits the key focus of middle-income communities.
4) Who Is Eligible For The PRIMA 1 Malaysia Scheme?
There are several key criteria to ensure you’re eligible for the PRIMA scheme:
- Be a Malaysian citizen
- Have an individual or combined household income of RM2,500 – RM15,000
- Be over the age of 21
- Own no more than one property between you and your spouse
Compare PR1MA and other popular home schemes in Malaysia such as Skim Rumah Pertamaku, RUMAWIP, PPA1M, and more with this infographic.
5) Are there any fees payable before applying for a PR1MA Unit?
You don't have to worry about any fees at all, because applying for PR1MA housing is absolutely FREE! That's right, no charges are applicable when you sign up, and no attorney fees are required.
All you have to do is register on the official PR1MA website, or go to any of PR1MA offices and sales galleries.
6) How Do I Apply For PRIMA?
The PRIMA system is designed to be simple and easy to use. Your journey begins by visiting www.pr1ma.my where you can register in either the Bahasa Malaysia or English language.
Step 1 – Registration
Visit the account registration page and fill in all fields with relevant details. This includes details such as your NRIC number, date of birth, nationality, and email address.
You’ll also be asked to provide certain required documents such as a copy of your IC and latest payslip or bank statements.
It’s free to register, and married couples are only required to register once as a couple, instead of individually. Once your registration is complete, you’ll receive an email to confirm.
Step 2 – Application
With the PR1MA scheme, you must only apply for specific property developments when balloting becomes open.
Registered users are notified by email of newly launched developments that fit their preferred locations.
Login using your User ID and Password once you receive the email. You can then find out more details on the projects that are open for application.
If you want to apply, simply register your interest before the noted closing date of the development. You’ll receive confirmation of your application via email.
Step 3 – Balloting
An open and transparent ballot is undertaken to assign homes from a PR1MA development to applicants. If you're successful, you’ll be notified by email, with lists also posted on www.pr1ma.my.
Step 4 – Unit Selection
Once the verification of your successful ballot application is complete, you’ll be invited to choose a desired unit within the development. These units will provide a range of sizes at different set price costs.
If your selected unit type is over-subscribed and your application is unsuccessful, you should apply to be added to a waiting list.
There is no guaranteed timescale on when a unit may become available, but you may apply for other PR1MA projects during this time.
You’ll be removed from the waiting list if you’re selected for another development.
Step 5 - Financing
While successful applicants are free to apply for loans from any financial institution, the PR1MA scheme does benefit from some key financial incentives and home loan offers.
- End-Financing – Finance packages from selected institutions of up to 110% of SPA price for eligible buyers, with no downpayments required for those who secure maximum loans.
- Rent-To-Own Scheme – Open to potential buyers who were refused a loan from PR1MA’s panel banks. Applications are examined by a special committee. This scheme is currently closed with a reopening date yet to be confirmed.
- Skim Pembiayaan Fleksibel PR1MA (SPEF) – Exclusive scheme for PR1MA homebuyers to provide reduced home loan payments with the benefit of a fixed interest-only payment for the first 5 years. More interestingly, the scheme offers lower monthly instalments compared to regular loan rates.
- Care by Prima – Unique home insurance scheme which provides peace-of-mind insurance cover for your PR1MA home ownership.
Step 6 – Sign SPA
After successfully being chosen from a ballot, selecting a unit, and guaranteeing the appropriate financing, you’re ready to sign the Sale and Purchase Agreement (SPA).
This legal contract sets out the conditions of the sale between the developer, PR1MA, and you as the homebuyer.
Step 7 – Move In!
It’s time to move in! With the SPA signed, you’re ready for the unit handover.
Homebuyers will receive a Certificate of Completion and Compliance to confirm the deal is done, and you’re now the proud owner of a new PR1MA home!
7) Anything Else You Need To Know About PR1MA?
PR1MA is designed to provide an affordable housing solution for Malaysian citizens. That means several additional conditions apply in order to support that central goal:
- PRIMA Homes must be owner occupied without sub-letting
- Owners cannot sell their PRIMA home within 5 years of purchase
- Additional state guidelines may apply in some states
Buying a home is an exciting and complex time at any stage in your life. Affordable housing schemes like PR1MA are designed to support eligible citizens as part of that journey. If you’re looking for a new home but not sure if PR1MA is right for you, why not explore the thousands of properties for sale on PropertyGuru today.