1 Answer

askguru expert
Hello there,

A serviced apartment is classified under the protection of the Housing Development Act as these properties are partially- or wholly-used for permanent residential purpose. Commercial rates that apply to serviced apartments can be justified to the relevant authorities of a unit’s residential usage. Once an owner is able to prove that it's used as a residence, he/she could enjoy residential rates instead. Read more about it here: https://www.propertyguru.com.my/property-guides/understanding-housing-development-act-malaysia-hda-and-defect-liability-9580

If you’re a heavy electronics user and you’re anxious about racking up the bill, the Smart Meter might be of help to you. It's highlighted here: https://www.propertyguru.com.my/property-guides/set-up-home-utilities-in-malaysia-28509

You could also check this article for 7 simple ways to save electricity: https://www.propertyguru.com.my/property-guides/how-to-save-electricity-at-home-16997

All the best in your efforts!