Action Will Be Taken If Accident Due to Negligence, Says Zairil

Diane Foo Eu LynnOctober 26, 2018

 

While no one was hurt during the 11 October incident, when 14 beams at an elevated road project in Balik Pulau fell onto a slope, the contractor may still face action once it is found out that the accident was due to negligence, said State Works Committee chairman Zairil Khir Johari.

He revealed that Penang Island City Council (MBPP) as well as the Department of Occupational Safety and Health are still investigating the incident, reported The Star.

“In any construction site, there is always the risk of accidents and what we want to ensure is that there is no negligence…Accidents can happen and what we want to avoid is negligence, meaning people not following the proper safety procedures or people doing things irresponsibly,” he said at the opening of Central Island Park at Aspen Vision City in Batu Kawan, Penang.

“If that is the cause of the accident, then definitely action must be taken and will be taken.”

It is understood that a crane operator accidentally knocked down one of the 25m concrete beams laid on the ground, sending others to fall to the slope like dominoes.

The beams were used for the construction of a 600m elevated road connecting Jalan Bukit Kukus and Jalan Tun Sardon, which is part of a RM275.6 million road project.

Set for completion in mid-2020, the road project also involves the upgrade of a 1.5km stretch in Lebuh Bukit Jambul and a 1.1km stretch in Lebuhraya Thean Teik.

Although no injuries were reported, the contractor had been issued with a stop-work order.

 

Image sourced from The Star

 

This article was edited by the editorial team of PropertyGuru. To contact them about this or other stories email editorialteam@propertyguru.com.my

 

As a property buyer, it is important to be well informed on the buying process and laws governing the housing industry. Read more here!

POST COMMENT

You may also like these articles

Johor Affordable Housing Project Offers 3-bedroom Terrace Homes for Only RM70,000

 In a bid to ease the burden of the people, the royal family of Johor introduced an affordable housing project, in which a buyer would only fork out RM70,000 for a three-bedroom terrace home, rep

Continue ReadingOctober 22, 2018

Abandoned Projects in Selangor Affects 100,000 Homebuyers

 After paying their life savings as downpayment for their first homes, around 100,000 house buyers in Selangor are now left with massive debts after the housing project was declared abandoned.K.

Continue ReadingOctober 26, 2018

Johor to Launch RM250k Homes for Middle-Income Families

 The state government of Johor plans to launch later this year a new kind of low-cost housing intended for middle-income families priced at RM250,000 apiece, reported The Star.Johor Housing and R

Continue ReadingOctober 26, 2018

Penang Sets Up Special Committee on Fatal Bukit Kukus Landslide

 Following initial findings of non-compliance of construction procedures, the state government of Penang will set up a high-level committee to investigate last Friday’s fatal landslide at the B

Continue ReadingOctober 26, 2018

Feedback