Gov’t to Launch Crowdfunding Platform to Help Home Buyers

5 Nov 2018


The federal government announced during the tabling of Budget 2019 on Friday (2 November) that it will introduce a “property crowdfunding” platform by Q1 2019 to help Malaysians buying their first homes, reported Bernama.

On Sunday (4 November), Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said the scheme is the first of its kind in the world, and will enable people to buy a home as long as they can a pay the 20 percent down payment, which can be financed via savings, debts or withdrawals from their Employee Provident Fund (EPF) account. The remaining 80 percent will be funded by investors via peer-to-peer lending supervised by the Securities Commission.

“They can borrow money from banks and the money will be their contribution for the purchase, just 20 percent of the price of the house, the balance (of 80 percent) will be bought by investors.”

Dubbed as, the property crowdfunding platform is expected to help the Pakatan Harapan administration fulfil its election promise of one million low-cost housing within 10 years.

“One million is not a small number for houses, but this is our promise,” Mahathir reiterated.

Asked about how the government will protect investors and prevent people from reneging on their debts, the Prime Minister believes the risk is low.

“The amount to be borrowed is very small, so banks of course must use prudence in lending money, but because this involves only a small amount of money, the borrower (is likely to) have sufficient income to pay back the loan.”

“The danger of people running away, not paying…if they run away, the house is empty, so you can occupy the house,” he explained.

Nonetheless, the success of the property crowdfunding platform will depend on its results. “I want to see the house, I want to see the owner…if this works, then more people will be able to buy houses and more can be built,” said Dr Mahathir.

While Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng admitted that there is some risk involved, he said it is worth it if it can help the new federal government construct 1 million affordable homes in 10 years.

“When this idea was brought forward we spent quite some time to study in detail because the prime minister liked the idea and we found out that it is workable,” he said, adding the government is holdings talks with relevant agencies like the Securities Commission on how to implement the property crowdfunding platform.


Image source: Astro Awani


This article was edited by the editorial team of PropertyGuru. To contact them about this or other stories email


As a property buyer, it is important to be well informed on the buying process and laws governing the housing industry. Read more here!

seo experts
Nov 18, 2020
anyone can invest in a securities-based crowdfunding offering. ... In addition, any mortgage or other loan on your home does not count as a liability ... loan amount in the 60 days prior to your purchase of the securities (even if the loan ... platforms are required to offer educational materials to help investors .. by buy instagram followers uk

You may also like these articles

10% Drop in Home Prices Due to SST Exemption Is Reasonable

 Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng expects prices of new residential properties in Malaysia to decline by up 10 percent as the sales and service tax (SST) will not be imposed on all construction serv

Continue Reading1 Nov 2018

Some BNM Officials Knew That Proceeds of RM2bil Land Sale Diverted to 1MDB

 Some central bank officials “obviously” had knowledge that the RM2 billion paid by Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) to buy land from the Ministry of Finance (MoF) was diverted by the previous admi

Continue Reading1 Nov 2018

Home Prices Across Malaysia Dipped in Q3: PropertyGuru

 Home prices in key areas across the country slid in Q3 2018 on an annual basis, according to latest reading of the PropertyGuru Market Index (PMI).In particular, Selangor recorded the highest dr

Continue Reading2 Nov 2018

REDHA Welcomes Government Measures to Encourage Home Ownership

 While they described the new impositions on real properties untimely, property players welcomed the government’s initiatives to boost Malaysia’s real estate sector.Under Budget 2019, the gov

Continue Reading5 Nov 2018