No Injunction to Bar Opening of Resort World Genting Theme Park

January 28, 2019

 

Despite a filed legal counterclaim, experts revealed that Genting Malaysia may likely proceed with the opening of the Outdoor Theme Park in Resort World Genting (RWG) in Pahang next year, reported the Borneo Post.

On Wednesday (23 Jan), 20th Century Fox, Fox Entertainment Group and The Walt Disney Co lodged a legal counterclaim to the US$1 billion lawsuit filed by Genting Malaysia in November. The case filed by Genting Malaysia alleged that the defendants violated a contract to build a Fox-branded theme park in RWG.

In the counterclaim, the defendants alleged that Genting Malaysia violated an agreement and breached the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing.

According to a stock exchange filing by Genting Malaysia, Fox is seeking about US$46.4 million (RM191.7 million), in regards to travel reimbursements, annual licence fees, guarantee amounts/royalties, consequential damages, reasonable costs and other relief.

Nonetheless, Maybank Investment Bank analysts noted that Fox and Disney did not file an injunction preventing Genting Malaysia from opening the Outdoor Theme Park.

“The aforementioned development is not new in our view. That said, what piqued our interest is that neither Fox nor Disney sought an injunction to preclude Genting Malaysia from opening the OTP as we had earlier feared.”

“This implies that Genting Malaysia may be able to proceed to either operate the theme park by itself or partner (with) other (movie) studios,” it noted.

If there are no other barriers to the opening of the theme park, it could start operating by Q1 2020. As such, RWG’s visitor arrivals is expected to increase by 9.0 percent or by another 2 million in FY2020. However, it’s possible that the opening could be delayed further.

 

Image source: Says Malaysia

 

Win up to RM3,000 CASH just by sharing your thoughts on the Malaysian property market! Take the PropertyGuru Sentiment Survey here

POST COMMENT

You may also like these articles

Gov’t Said to Have Axed Chinese ECLR Contractor

 A source revealed that the Federal Government has scrapped on Tuesday (Jan 22) the original agreement with China Communications Construction Company (CCCC) for the construction of the East Coast

Continue ReadingJanuary 24, 2019

LBS Kicks Start 2019 with Projects Comprising of Affordable Homes In Perak

 Ipoh – To support the Government’s national housing agenda, Perak State Secretary Incorporated (SSI) and LBS Bina Group Berhad (LBS), through its subsidiary company Bimbingan Simfoni Sdn Bhd

Continue ReadingJanuary 24, 2019

Championing Grassroots Esports Development in Sunsuria City

 Salak Tinggi – Sunsuria Berhad has signed a Memorandum of Understanding to establish EXVRA, an ESports Hub within Sunsuria City, which is Sunsuria’s flagship township that is built on princi

Continue ReadingJanuary 28, 2019

Density of Rebranded Rumawip Projects Lower

 The Rumawip (Federal Territories Affordable Housing Project) project will soon be known as the Residensi Wilayah affordable housing project.While the rebranded program would be based on the same

Continue ReadingJanuary 28, 2019

Feedback