Penang Eyes To Build Another Airport

Pavither March 14, 2019

Penang eyes to build a second international airport to support the increase of passengers at the current Bayan Lepas airport.

In fact, the state is in the process of identifying strategic locations for the airport, including one of the three islands that were proposed to be reclaimed in Batu Maung, reported The Star.

“The Penang International Airport (PIA) will only be able to accommodate up to 20 million passengers per year, even after expansion,” said Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow.

“The latest terminal expansion for PIA will last us another 10 to 20 years, but what do we do beyond that, when air traffic increases and the runway is not enough? We need a new airport,” he said.

“We will study if Penang needs a new airport beyond 30 years from now, and if there is a need, where exactly should it be located.”

 Let us auto-calculate how much the banks will loan you with our Mortgage Pre-Qualifier calculator. Click here.

Although Chow acknowledged plans to raise the current capacity of PIA to 16 million passengers per year from 6.5 million, he noted that the airport would need more space for the runway.

The space constraints around the airport and its runway make it impossible for expansion without acquiring the entire Free Industrial Zone.

Meanwhile, the three reclaimed islands form part of the proposed Penang Transport Master Plan that is yet to be approved.

On Kedah’s proposal to build an international airport in Kulim, Chow revealed that the National Transport Council heard that it would be used exclusively for cargo.

However, a feasibility study from Kedah last year indicated that it would also be a passenger airport, he said.

Chow explained that the Penang government does not object to the construction of the airport as long as Kedah complies with the conditions set by federal regulators.

Get more insights on Penang locations at AreaInsider

POST COMMENT

You may also like these articles

Affordable Homes in Penang Now Open to Outsiders

 Twenty percent of affordable homes offered in Penang are now available for purchase to people from outside the state, reported Free Malaysia Today.The 20 percent quota for non-Penangites are off

Continue ReadingJanuary 29, 2019

Penang Expects RM46b Transport Master Plan To Be Approved By June

 Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow is confident that the state’s RM46 billion transport master plan (PTMP) would be approved by the federal government within the first half of 2019, reported

Continue ReadingFebruary 21, 2019

After Long Wait, Penang PPR Applicants Offered Various Housing Options

The Penang state housing department has called in more than 22 applicants on the people’s housing project (PPR) waiting list to offer them various options including rent-to-own schemes. One of them

Continue ReadingMarch 6, 2019

Penang To Roll-out More Rent-To-Own Schemes

In a bid to address the increasing number of applicants for affordable homes, the Penang state government eyes to introduce more ‘rent-to-own’ schemes. This comes after all 999 units under the Pe

Continue ReadingMarch 11, 2019

Feedback