The Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) assured that it will enhance its monitoring and enforcement of the standard operating procedures (SOPs) at construction sites to help curb the spread of COVID-19.
Under the Movement Control Order (MCO) 3.0 rolled out by the government, SOPs observed at construction sites had been enhanced, with violators facing sterner actions, said CIDB Chief Executive Datuk Ahmad Asri Abdul Hamidm.
“Among the aspects that we have enhanced are making it compulsory for local workers and foreign workers to undergo the COVID-19 screening test to prove they are negative for COVID-19 and not allowing transfer of workers to other construction sites,” he said during his appearance on Bernama TV to delve on the ‘Challenges of the Construction Industry in the COVID-19 Era’.
Ahmad Asri revealed that around 17,000 inspections had been conducted by CIDB at construction sites since 18 March 2020. He urged contractors to be proactive in ensuring that their worker follow the SOPs.
He added that CIDB will continue to assist the construction industry, particularly construction firms so they could continue to operate despite the COVID-19 pandemic, reported Bernama.
“Many people believe that the construction sector should be completely closed as we did on March 18 last year (MCO 1.0), but it involves losses of about RM11.6 billion a month and this will cause many parties to lose income and jobs,” he said as quoted by Bernama.